My Realization

We went camping this past weekend with Ryan’s brother and his family. We had a great time…even with nap-deprived kiddies with yucky stomachs, we really enjoyed ourselves and were able to visit and relax (although I’m not sure I can speak for J, J, S, S).

J and J often get cracked up at how much Ryan and I shop at Sam’s. I’ve never really thought about it much but this weekend I realized that we really do shop there A LOT. We actually go there…and I’m a little embarrassed to admit this…about once a week…sometimes twice. Most of the normal things we get there we buy because they are way cheaper than buying in a normal store or because I get tired of constantly having to buy more to keep from running out. However, we also buy quite a bit of “stuff” from Sam’s. (Even as I’m typing this I’m laughing and thinking about even the most recent items we’ve picked up…holy cow…we’ve got it bad.)

My SIL said that I needed to have a blog post about what all we buy there, Ryan suggested a separate blog…seriously, it’s that bad…so I thought I’d try one…if nothing else Ryan and I (and probably YOU) will realize how bad our Sam’s addiction really is…and hopefully laugh along.

I normally buy most of my meat at Sam’s. This includes but is not limited to:
Frozen chicken breasts
Ground chuck (90%/10%)
Sausage
Pork ribs (super yummy in the smoker or slow cooker)
Pork chops
Spiral ham (have one in the freezer right now)
Fish (usually tilapia, but we’ve also bought the grouper)
Hot dog wieners (wieners because it’s not a whole hot dog until it has a wiener AND a bun, thank you very much)
Breakfast sausage patties (mmmmm…)
Lunch meat (turkey and roast beef…they have the MOST AWESOME roast beef)
London broil (I can usually find these reduced for quick sale…very yummy marinade recipe HERE)
Rotisserie chicken already cooked (for when you’ve had “one of those days” and the thought of cooking makes a steep cliff look inviting)

We also get a lot of our produce at Sam’s.
Bagged lettuce (usually baby spinach or hearts of romaine…I’m not a big iceberg fan)
Apples (Ryan prefers the galas for their “sweet and snappiness”)
Potatoes
Onions
We DO NOT, however, buy the bananas as they are green when purchased and quickly turn black…seriously, they never hit yellow…it’s really very gross.

Paper Products are must haves for any home.
Toilet paper (It's super soft and cushy)
Paper towels
Plastic cups (I haven’t bought these recently, but for a while I was tired of doing dishes so I went and bought a HUGE bag of plastic cups and threatened Ryan’s life if he dared drink out of a real glass)
Printer paper (yes, it’s just two of us at home, but I’m tired of running out of paper...so we buy it by the case now)

Other must-haves include:
Dog food (we get the Lamb and Rice. It’s actually “comparable to Eukanuba”…and it keeps Sebastian from eating his poop…which is a plus any way you look at it)
Laundry detergent (I personally prefer liquid Cheer for colors and generic Tide for whites)
Dish washer tablets
Bottled water
Bagel chips (so freakin’ good with nothing but sea salt)
Emerald cocoa baked almonds (had some this morning, actually)
Slim Fast shake powder (for the mornings I can't get it together)
Milk (thank goodness they’ve gotten rid of those weird square shaped jugs…I was having to mop every time we poured a glass of milk…not really, I don’t remember the last time I actually mopped)
Cheese (I usually buy the HUGE bad of shredded cheese but I learned this weekend that it has cellulose to keep it from sticking together so I’ll be buying the 10 pound block from now on and shredding it myself)
Bread (sometimes we get it here, sometimes we don’t. It really just depends on what’s going on that week and if Ryan plans on packing his lunches a lot.)
Books (I ALWAYS have to check out the books at Sam’s. They are cheaper than any other store and always have at least some of the best sellers. They’re even cheaper than Wal-Mart.)
Frozen veggies (love the broc/cauli/carrot mixture)=
Jeans (Ryan prefers Member's Mark while I prefer Nine West)
Cleansing cloths for glasses
Dial Soap
Cheese cracker packs
Ibuprofen and acetaminophen (that's generic Advil and Tylenol)

And here’s a list of some other purchases we’ve made:
Our living room furniture (couch, chair, and ottoman)
Our TV (Vizio…love it)
Archos mp3/video/something else player thing…Ryan’s toy
Rockband
Ryan's Running Shoes
Our bed frame. It fits all sizes of mattresses including a California King...although we have yet to order one. We've had this frame for almost a year.
Various accessories for cell phones (since I seem to lose cell phones when we go camping)
Hiking shirts (these were actually the only ones we have been able to find that FIT Ryan's shoulders)
Our bathroom scales (they calculate body fat percentage and water weight)

And after all of that, I KNOW there are things I'm missing. But, it's late and I'm tired and I don't want to further incriminate myself. So with that, I am signing off and going to bed...after I have a glass of my Sam's milk…and turn on the dishwasher...with a Sam's dishwasher tablet.

Comments

Kresta said…
This is hilarious! And my list would duplicate much of your list, minus a few meats and the pet food since we have no pets. Just wanted to mention a couple of things -- the generic liquid dishwashing detergent is very good, cheap, and comes as two big jugs. Also don't forget about birthday cakes (so yummy from Sam's). And I've bought linens from there (towels and stuff) that we love!

I think I was in Sam's probably 3 times last week alone and went through the same guy's register each time. We're dieting, so I was stocking up on produce; and we were also preparing for Claire's bday party. Love it!
Jen said…
You forgot the night vision monoscope!!!! Josh and I are cracking up because this post is so timely and absolutely hilarious! I seriously think you should think about a separate Sam's blog where you can update us on all of your great finds and deals.
Kelley Close said…
He he he....when Ryan got home he informed me I forgot about the night vision...and his favorite socks, my camisoles, pancake mix, popcorn, and hamburger patties. We really are bad. Here's another funny...the Sam's bill came in the mail today...after I cringed, I had to laugh.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

My Own Life-Hacker List

I'm Tired