A Bit Concerned

It's hard to imagine that anyone living in America isn't constantly pummeled with news about the failing economy (personally, I think it's already failed, but what do I know?). It's also hard to imagine that anyone living in our "middle class" or lower region isn't constantly concerned about their job(s), home, bills, and such. I recently had lunch with a friend and we talked about how the questions used to be, "Where are you working now? Do you like it?" and are now, "Where are you working now? Is it pretty stable?" A sign of the times, maybe?

I was in Walmart (actually two different Walmart stores) last night and in both stores I heard people talking and it made me really start to think about things. First, I was in the Super in Callaway and heard a lady on her cell phone. (If you know me really well, you already know that I'm pretty nosey and often refer to myself as "Gladys Crabtree"). Apparently, someone had picked up her daughter from some function a day or so before and had gone ahead and fed her supper. Usually, not a big thing. This lady was pouring out her appreciation because she "didn't really have any food at the house because she was waiting to get paid". She then went on to tell about how she and her husband were having such difficulty making the bills and how he'd been sick and just couldn't get over his cold and bills were quickly piling up...and that the truck had broken down that week. It went on and on. It was pretty obvious that the person on the other line kept asking about particulars and so she was trying to explain their financial woes.

After the Super, I hit the other Walmart as the Super didn't have the item I was looking for (imagine that, right?) . I was buying a card table and chair set and couldn't lift it on my own so they had to call someone to pick it up and take it to me car for me. I got into conversation with the man..a super nice guy. I forgot how the conversation got there but he said that he was just the guy that handled that buggies and no one ever told him anything...anything other than, "Hey, you missed one." (He had a funny sense of humor.) I mentioned that my brother used to work the buggies when Sam's first opened here and that he hated it and wanted to quit so bad but my mom wouldn't let him. So he loads the box in my car, I tell him to stay warm 'cause the temp is supposed to really drop tonight (I have no idea how late he's working since it's already about 9:30) and out of the blue he says, "Yeah...if this was my second job, I'd quit today." Again, I was heartbroken. Partly because I know what it's like being in a job you hate, but also because I don't know what it's like not being able to leave.

And so many of my friends and family are either losing their jobs or are very concerned that they might be losing them soon. Although our jobs are pretty stable, you can't help but feel nervous for these people and their families, wondering how they're going to make it. I'm not going to get into politics (mainly 'cause they give me a headache and a stomachache both at the same time) but I'm so concerned for our country and the mess it's in. I hear all of these heartbreaking stories and want to cry, but I also hear (and see) the ways people are dealing with their new realities and I also want to cry...but different tears. I remember talking to someone about six months ago, telling her that I was worried about things. She comforted me not by telling me that “things would be okay” and trying to smooth it over, but by telling me, “Yeah, kid. We’re headed for some really tough times. We all need to brace ourselves and get ready to remember what’s important in life. It’s not about the cable TV, the nice new car, or even some of the stupid things we spend money on mainly because we have a certain set lifestyle that we have to keep up with.” She reminded me that even during the Great Depression, people made it. They may have been a little skinnier and ate lots of dried beans, but they’re also alive to tell about it.

So…that brings me to my main point, I guess. Even though people are losing their houses, jobs, and in some cases, possessions, we’re all going to make it. We’ll make the choices we have to, give up what we have to, and work where we have to…even if that’s pushing buggies at Walmart. And we’ll all be okay. We’re going to make it. I have to remember to put my faith and trust in God and know that He’s going through all of this with us (actually, He’s already done it…and knows we’ll survive) and will be there right with us when it gets ugly. And I have to rest in that. It’s kinda hard, but it’s probably the first choice that I need to make.

Comments

Pamela Nevins said…
God is in control. Those words have always given me comfort. He is allowing what is happening to our nation for his own purpose. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason is so we will get back to the basics. People as a whole spend too much time on entertainment of all sorts. Technology is another thing that has helped and yet it has caused us to be a people on the phone, surfing the web, text messaging...you name it we do it. When hard times come we come to find what is really important and that becomes God, our families, food etc. There will be many who will come to know the Lord through these times that wouldn't otherwise. That's a great thing. I think it will be kind of fun to play cards or board games again, to have no tv blaring all the time and for the me not to be on the computer constantly like I can be now. Try not to be disheartened by what you see and hear. Take comfort in the King above all Kings has saved us, loves us and is watching out for us. He will never leave us or forsake us. He has a plan for our lives. Through these hard times be encouraged, encourage others and watch Jesus at work. It will be a grand thing. :-) Love ya!

Popular posts from this blog

My Own Life-Hacker List

I'm Tired