My Freezer Challenge: Days 12 and 13

Hopefully this post will catch me up on the days of my challenge. Yesterday I was very good...only in the terms of the challenge though. As most of you know, I accomplished diddly squat...unless you count a photo shoot that would make any runway model jealous.

Yesterday's breakfast was a toaster strudel (yes, I know...totally unhealthy, but oh that icing...can't resist), lunch was another stinkin' ham sandwich, and supper was chicken kabobs. I started realizing that part of my challenge was not only using the foods I already have in my "at-home grocery store" but to also try new recipes. So I started digging and found a neat little recipe for chicken kabobs and decided to try that.

Chicken Shish Kabobs
2 pounds skinless, boneless, chicken breast halves (I just used two to eliminate leftovers)
1/2 lemon juice (I didn't have enough so I used white cooking wine...Adria taught me this)
1/3 cooking oil or olive oil
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, minced (again, I just used garlic powder)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes and place in a zip-lock bag. In a small bowl stir together all ingredients and pour into the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour (I think mine was in there for 2-3...no biggie).
Drain chicken, discard marinade. Thread chicken cubes onto skewers. Preheat broiler. Place skewers on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4-5 inches from the heat about 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning once halfway through broiling.

We once tried shrimp on skewers on the grill and because we were newlywed idiots and were terrified of eating raw meat, we totally overcooked them and that night had rubber shrimp for supper (seriously, the recipe said 3-4 minutes and we probably left them on there for a solid 15...idiots). For that reason I'm always a little scared of trying things that involve meat on a stick. Last night went much better than our shrimp debacle (honestly, though, how much worse could it have been?). I will add that I left these in for about 15 minutes (old habits are hard to break) and wished that I'd only done the 10. Although the larger cubes were still moist, the smaller ones were a little drier than what I normally like. (I like wet meat. If you didn't get that, sorry. Little inside humor there...) Complimenting the chicken was brown rice (boil in the bag as I can never cook the regular brown rice the right way), some salad, and a steamer bag of potatoes, carrots, and snap peas.



Later on I had a craving for something sweet (not sure why, but sometimes around 7:30 or 8:00 I NEED sugar. So I went ye ole freezer and found a Klondike Slima Bear bar. Lovely.

Today I was also very good. Finished off the last toaster strudel (raspberry and cream cheese...yum) with a glass of Ovaltine. I'm nowhere near running out of this and for that I am positively pleased. Ryan went fishing today so I packed him two turkey sandwiches which finished off that sliced turkey I bought last week. WOOT! For lunch I warmed up some of the leftover tortellini dish from the other day (I think the chickpeas are starting to grow on me). When Ryan got home, he brought in a bag of fresh red snapper.

Oh yes.

I'm serious.

As my mouth started salivating, I rushed to the cookbook to find a recipe. The only one I could find included some creamy sauce and he looked a little skiddish about it. He finally asked, "Will you just pan fry it like you do the tilapia?" So...we had red snapper for supper (I cooked the two smaller fillets and froze the big ones), mashed potatoes (although they were flakes, I once had a super good cook, Mr. Vickers, tell me that he uses them from time to time...annnnnd since he used to teach cooking classes, I feel confident in using them), salad (for Ryan since it finished off the bag), baby lima beans (for me...'cause I married Mr. If-It's-Green-But-Not-A-Green-Bean-Then-I'm-Not-Eating-It), a side a cherries (finished them off), and a bowl of frozen grapes (for dessert). All I can say is YUM YUM.

When he first got home and showered he planted it on the couch and I asked, "Hey, wanna see what I bought today?"
"You bought something today?"
"Yeah. Wanna see it?"
"You went out and bought something while I was out trying to catch fish so that we could save money on food?"

"Riiiiiiiiiight."


Comments

Ryan Close said…
I would like to point out that bottle of ketchup in the last picture. Yes, my darling bride put ketchup on our fresh red snapper.

That is all.
Kelley Close said…
I'm told you before and I'll say it again, I'm southern and one of my five spices is ketchup. I can't help it.

Popular posts from this blog

My Own Life-Hacker List

I'm Tired