Day 15: BUSTED in the panhandle..err...Sam's

We have some friends in our small group that have had a kind of crummy week. They are both so sweet, they love the Lord so much, and well, are just having a crummy string of days. They've been on my mind and in my prayers a lot lately. I woke up Thursday morning and it popped into my head, "You need to cook and take them supper." I'm not the type that does this a lot. It's not that I don't care, I just...I don't know...I should do it more, but I just never think of it. :-/

Thursday morning I got a list made of what all was needed from the store and went to work. I started with Sam's. We needed milk and since it's the cheapest place in town, that's where I normally buy it. Ryan mentioned the other day that he wanted some chips of some type to take to work for lunches. Might as well get those in Sam's in those cute little bags. I justify purchasing the little bags because, as a friend once told me, "No matter the size of the bag, they all get eaten in one sitting." (I also justify purchasing them this way because I didn't get the little bags when I was little. Mine came in zippy bags that, by the time lunch rolled around, were somewhat crushed by the can of Donald Duck orange juice also in my lunchbox.) So...I like the little bags. Also saw that they had the bigger baskets of blueberries in...and WATERMELON! They had seedless watermelons for $4. GOTTA have one of those. I made my purchase and as I was walking out I saw my (favorite) old neighbor. She's a gem and I miss her so much. We stood in the doorway and chatted a little while clogging up the exit door traffic. (by the way Mr. I'll-Give-You-An-Ugly-Look-While-You-Block-The-Path, we weren't even in your way so take you flatbed of toilet paper and go use it)

And then we headed to Publix. See...here's where the guilt sets in. It was all pre-meditated. I printed the coupons out before I left the house. But hear me out, I had just reasons for the purchases I made. If I may approach the bench...

  1. Combat Roach Killer: I was hauling some cardboard boxes to the trash pile the other night and a roach bug crawled out from under a box. (nothing kills a good garage cleaning like the discovery of a roach bug...luckily the 40 pound bag of dog food took care of him for me) When I saw that Publix had Combat roach traps on sale WITH a current store coupon of $3 off WITH a printable MFC available for $2 off...we needed them! I only got one box, though.
  2. Bailey's (non-alcoholic) coffee creamer: It was B1G1 and I had two $1 off coupons...so I got it for 9 cents. I'll find it a home. I just couldn't leave it there...
  3. Muir Glen diced tomatoes: Okay, this one was a total backslide. I in no way need more canned tomatoes, but I had a $1 off coupon and...guilty. I'm guilty.
  4. Sour cream: This wasn't on sale and I didn't have a coupon but I did need it for the beef stroganoff.
  5. Egg noodles: Same as the sour cream. (my head is held high!)
  6. Fresh green beans: They were on sale and I was going to cook them for the meal.
  7. Fresh Okra (pronounced okree...don't believe me? LOOK IT UP.): Not for that night's meal, but I'll be having it Friday night.
  8. Cesar dog food: Baby L has been having a rough week which means we've ALL been having a rough week. It was on sale for 70 cents a pack and I had a B1G1 coupon...and I thought Sebastian needed a nice little treat since he's had to listen to L's belly aching for the past few days along with the rest of us.
And that's it. Not too bad, though more than what I wanted to grab. (Okay, not true. Starbucks ice cream was also on the list but I found inner strength while reaching for it and was able to pull back my hand without a carton in it.

So...back home for meal preparation and packing. I cooked a double portion of the stroganoff and pulled out a little for Ryan and myself. I sent over the stroganoff, green beans, watermelon and blueberries in strawberry yogurt (one of my favorite summer treats). I hope their week gets better and they have a beautiful weekend.

Comments

FYI: Coupons.com has coupons printable for Starbucks Ice Cream. I wouldn't be a good bloggy friend if I didn't tell you!

Popular posts from this blog

My Own Life-Hacker List

I'm Tired