Reality TV: Is This For Real???

I woke up sick this morning...felt it coming on a little yesterday, but during the night I woke up and knew that it was definitely here to stay. It's nothing super major...just a head cold, but nonetheless, I've been on the couch all day.

And since I've been on the couch today, I've been watching TV out the wazoo and honestly can't believe what all I've seen. I've watched my favorites, Little House on the Prairie, People's Court, Judge Judy...some super cheesy movies, one about a single mother that chases tornadoes and in the end introduces her daughter to her daughter's father...the local weather man (I'm sad to say I didn't see that one coming...I blame it on the cold). I've also watched a lot of reality tv and am flabbergasted. Here are just some of the shows I've watched today...mostly just pieces of an episode 'cause that's about all I could handle...

First there was a show called Tool Academy. This one was seriously lacking...something. It's somewhat of a relationship bootcamp for these couples/idiots that are hoping to save their relationships. When I tuned in, the guys were having to put on a kevlar vest and "confess" things to the group about their girl and relationship. There was this super skinny kid with a kinda fluffy girl and he's confessing how he makes fun of her behind her back and goes on and on and on and on...and he makes up for it by giving her his favorite bowling league certificate (or something like that). Seriously. I kid you not...she's crying and carrying on and she takes him back because he gave her his most favorite possesion in the world...a bowling certifiate. If this doesn't make it on The Soup, I'm calling it in. But wait...it gets better....

The guys then have to get dressed in the most outlandish...stuff....and go to some amusement park to try and sell cookies to raise money to win back their girlfriends. And while they're doing this, the "house mother/counselor" is making notes and discussing which guy is doing a good job at being humble and which one is really showing desire to save his relationship. Sigh. Why on God's green earth would people actually sign up for this? I'm baffled.

Next, we have Next Top Model. Crazy stuff. All I'm going to say is that we as a society have put WAY too much significance on outward beauty and what most of us think is expected in that outward beauty (I'm mainly talking about women). This show has all these super skinny girls...and yes, they're pretty, but what I hate about these shows is that they make it look like that's the only "pretty" there is. And they're SO wrong. I have so many friends that are so far from looking like something on a magazine and they are beautiful...more so than those on the show. But we never feel that way, because magazine covers don't have girls/ladies like us on them...so sad. ;-) And Tyra Whatever-Her-Name-Is...what? She's a model, right? Nothing else, right? Why then, is she hosting these shows like she's someone that can actually...I don't know...again, I'm baffled.

And what about this Rock of Love (at least I think that's the name). I HAVE to hope (and pray) that this show is not a reality show but something totally scripted and planned. I can just see those girls' mothers watching it being so...embarrassed. Ugh.

And last, one of my favorites so far, Sober House. Why in this beautiful world would we want to actually watch a show about a bunch of people trying to battle out their addictions? I watched one guy while he was high on heroine verbally abuse another housemate. And then when he was clean (I think two days later) he apologizes to her and begs to be allowed back in the house...and she lets him. Maybe I really need to work on my mercy on the spiritual gift side, but WHAT?

Why why why why are we watching this stuff? Why are people taping this stuff? Why are people signing up to BE on this stuff? Have we become so bored with our lives, so removed from our lives, or so whatever else the issue might be with our lives that we are actually watching this stuff, this crap on television? I'm so depressed and it's not from being sick or having cabin fever. I just can't believe that this is what we've become. Maybe that's a very negative way to look at things, but dang...I've watched TV all day (minus one hour to run to WalMart for more Sudafed) and saw it all with my own eyes. And I don't even have digital cable.

Speaking of cable, I'm calling tomorrow to get it cancelled. I'll just buy my Little House on the Prairie on dvd and watch it that way.

Comments

Pamela Nevins said…
Amen Sister! Some day I wonder why we have a tv. I try really hard not to get sucked into these shows. The only one I did watch last year was Idol and dancing with the Stars. I have watched some of Idol this year but I skipped the other as I realized the way the women dressed was way too sexy and put me off. I shouldn't subject my hubby to that either. So yes I agree with you. I wish we were back to the days of Leave it Beaver. :-) Thanks for sharing.
Unknown said…
Kelley, I agree with you. It amazes me that the dysfunctional has become entertainment. That that which should be offensive and deserves pity has been glorified and glamorized. I have also noticed that as the dysfunctional has become more and more acceptable as entertainment it has also become more acceptable in real life. It really does trouble me and I do think that alot of the crap on the reality shows is scripted, it's definitely edited for the most dramatic effect anyway. Boooo!

Popular posts from this blog

My Own Life-Hacker List

I'm Tired